Courtesy of Bowdoin Athletics
MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin College volleyball team swept Endicott, 3-0, in a first-round match in the NCAA Division III Tournament t Tufts University.
The Polar Bears (19-7) advance to the Second Round on Saturday at 5 p.m. where they will face either Tufts or Eastern Nazarene. The Gulls, who lost 3-0 to Bowdoin for the second time this season, end their season with a record of 23-8.
- Bowdoin was able to build a 21-16 lead in the opening set before a quick 4-0 run by the Gulls closed the gap to a single point. Sparked by a service ace from Ella Haugen, Bowdoin closed the set on a 4-2 run to take a 1-0 overall lead.
- The Polar Bears opened up a commanding 17-9 lead in the second set only to see the Gulls again rally to close the gap to 20-17. Caroline Flaharty momentarily stemmed the tide with a kill for Bowdoin, but the Gulls closed the gap to 23-22, forcing a Polar Bear timeout. Cori Gray put the Polar Bears on the brink with a kill at the net and, one point later, Jaida Hodge-Adams finished it off with a kill to give Bowdoin a 25-23 win and 2-0 overall edge.
- Hodge-Adams had consecutive kills to spark a 7-0 run early in the third set for Bowdoin as the Polar Bears amassed a 12-5 edge midway through the frame. Endicott trimmed the gap to three points, 15-12, but a 6-0 surge, keyed by a pair of Allyson Hawkins kills, put all thoughts of a comeback to bed as Bowdoin closed out the match with another Hodge-Adams kill to clinch it with a 25-14 win.
By The Numbers
- Caroline Flaharty led Bowdoin with 14 kills while also notching 14 digs in the victory.
- Jaida Hodge-Adams was outstanding, recording seven kills and no errors with three blocks while Cori Gray totaled six kills and eight blocks.
- Ella Haugen (21 assists) and Kate Kiser (20 assists) keyed the Bowdoin attack while Emily King led the squad with 17 digs.
- Endicott was led by eight kills from Remi Quesnelle.
- Making their sixth-ever NCAA Tournament appearance, Bowdoin improved to 6-0 all-time in first-round matches.
- Bowdoin will face either NESCAC Champion Tufts, in a rematch of last week's conference title match, or Eastern Nazarene in the second round on Saturday evening at 5:00 p.m. at Tufts.