Courtesy of Bowdoin Sports Information
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College women's basketball team rolled SUNY New Paltz, 81-50, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears (29-1) advance to the sectional final tomorrow where they will battle Ithaca (25-5) for a trip to the national semifinals at 7 p.m. in Morrell Gymnasium. Tickets will be available at the door beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears were hot in the early going, riding early 3-pointers from Hannah Graham and Abby Kelly, to take a 14-2 lead before a packed Morrell Gymnasium.
- Each Bowdoin starter scored during a 14-2 surge. Taylor Choate started the scoring off with a driving layup. Abby Kelly had five quick points. Maddie Hasson was able to grab an offensive rebound and score the layup. Samantha Roy added a smooth euro-step lay in. Hannah Graham also contributed a three in the run.
- SUNY New Paltz was able to cut the Bowdoin lead to 16-11, going on a 9-2 run highlighted by two Lindsay Bettke 3-pointers.
- The Hawks fought back thanks to long-range shooting as four 3-pointers kept the visitors within striking distance, 33-27, at halftime.
- Bowdoin put the contest out of reach in the third quarter, opening on an 18-4 run, sparked by 3-pointers from Maddie Hasson, Samantha Roy and Moira Train.
- The Polar Bears did not let up, as they began the fourth quarter on a 16-2 run, pushing the lead to 69-39 with 5:10 left to play.
- Bowdoin never trailed in the game and led by as many as 32 points in the win.
By The Numbers
- Maddie Hasson led the way, pacing all scorers with 19 points. She also added 13 rebounds (eight offensive) as she posted a double-double.
- Abby Kelly pitched in 13 points for Bowdoin as all 14 players got playing time, with 11 in the scoring column.
- Marion Dietz was the team-high scorer for New Paltz with 13 points. Rachel Simon added 11 points to go along with eight rebounds in the game for the Hawks.
- The Polar Bears were stout defensively, holding the Hawks to just 19-of-75 shooting on the night.
- Bowdoin was able to outrebound New Paltz by a total of 56-34.
- The Polar Bears shot 29-of-62 (46.8%) from the field in the victory.
- Bowdoin battles Ithaca in the sectional final Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. Tickets will go on sale in the Buck Center beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- The Polar Bears will be looking for their second-straight "Final Four" and third overall. Ithaca will be making their second "Elite Eight" showing and in search of its first trip to the "Final Four".