NCAA Third Round: Tufts 0, Johns Hopkins 0 (Tufts Adv. on PKs, 4-1)

NCAA Third Round: Tufts 0, Johns Hopkins 0 (Tufts Adv. on PKs, 4-1)

Courtesy of Tufts Sports Information

MEDFORD, Mass. – The Tufts University men's soccer team advanced in the NCAA Tournament on penalty kicks for the second game consecutive game. After playing to a 0-0 tie in against John Hopkins through 110 minutes, the Jumbos (15-1-4) got the best of the Blue Jays (16-1-4), 4-1, in the penalty-kick shootout.

Tufts started off the penalty kick shootout with Zach Lane and Conor Coleman both converting their opportunities. For John Hopkins, Cole Rosenberger went first and scored on a shot right down the middle. Griffin Cypher was next for the Blue Jays, but Conner Mieth came up big for the home team with a save on a bouncing ball that he stopped diving to his left.

> Watch Tufts Press Conference

Jack Delaney was third for Tufts and converted a shot of his own in the top left corner. For the Blue Jays, Connor Jacobs' shot got passed Mieth, but hit the left post and ricocheted out. First-year Travis Van Brewer stepped up with a chance to win it for the Jumbos. He hit a hard ball into the left side of the net as the JHU goalie guessed to the right.

The Jumbos peppered the net with shots, ending with a 17-8 advantage, but weren't able to convert.

Tufts created two good scoring chances in the first half. In the 32nd minute a header from Coleman off of a corner kick from Delaney went just high. In the 45th minute, Christian Zazzali fed a ball through a couple defenders to Alex Ratzan whose shot was saved by Bryan See for John Hopkins.

The Blue Jays had a couple chances in the second half. In the 51st minute, their leading scorer, Achim Younker, broke through the back line of Tufts' defense, but his off balance shot went wide left. Then in the 72nd minute, Coleman and Matthew Macfarquhar were battling for a bouncing ball in the Jumbo box, but Mieth came over and scooped it up and out of danger.

In the first few minutes of overtime, Lane played a ball off his chest to Matt Zinner who got a hard shot off, but See made a diving save. In the 99th minute, a header by Sterling Weatehrbie hit the crossbar.

See made five saves on the day, while Mieth made two.

Tufts will play in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Division III Championship tomorrow at 1 p.m. at Bello against the winner of Brandeis and Drew.